Saturday, June 25, 2011

The sweet sounds of silence.

I have been up for 3 hours now.  Everyone else is still asleep.  Poor Casey was sleeping on the couch, but his mom called for him to come home, so now I am just sitting in silence.  I love these moments.  I know they are the calm before the storm, but at least I didn't wake up to a storm.  I swear I can feel God working on my soul.  I really cherish this time.

Yesterday was awesome!  My aunt Jane, Uncle Jerry, and cousin Jeff came down from Newnan.  We went to have lunch at Jason's Deli with them, and ALL the boys!  Jane is an amazing quilt maker, and she had recently finished Tyler's quilt.  She is proud of the fact that she has sewed one for (almost) every member of the family.  When she found out about us ( Long story short... Uncle Jerry is my biological uncle.  They did not know I had been born or even existed until about 4 years ago.  Since that time, they have embraced us all and really make us feel like part of the family.  They live about an hour away, so it is nice to be able to see them from time to time.) she started on making them for all of us.  She only has the two little guys to go.  I think Levi will probably be next.  She does amazing things to material.  I am constantly in awe of what she creates.  Beautiful.  Lucas has slept with nothing else since he got his, and Tyler is off to a good start with his.  Brandon was not feeling his best and I chalked it up to getting up too early ( by his standards ) but could notice that his leg was twitching, almost like the muscle was throbbing.  He sat while we waited in line, and after lunch he wanted to go to the National Infantry Museum with the relatives.  The hippies went home and off we went.  We had a nice visit to the museum.  It is quite possibly the best museum ever!  Brandon loves it and it's nice quality soldier time for him.  Jane, Jerry, and Jeff had never been there and seemed to like it as well.  It was hard not to notice that Brandon was not around and we kept finding him sitting on chairs, benches, or stools... his leg was acting up.  My poor aunt felt terrible for him and just kept tearing up.  It is sad to watch and she knows that he (and I) are frustrated with it and how long it takes to get through the system and wait on results.  She got to hear about our insurance dilema,and like most people when she hears it, she is shocked.  The good news, we still do have the VA and although I wish it was better, there are advantages to seeing doctors who treat soldiers, know the diseases that show up after spending time in the middle east, and know what brain injuries can do.  I can not imagine what a mess we would be in if it were not for VA medical treatment... it would be bad.  No worries though, because until we get him back on TriCare or next year can pay for Medicare... we still have them.  WHEW.  Anyway, we looked at as much as we could and then it was time to say goodbye.  Never the best part of the day, but at least we were happy with having had time with people that LOVE us!  When we came home, Brandon's leg was still acting up, he took his favorite spot on the couch.  A few hours later our neighbor stopped by.  She was the one who had arranged for us to speak to her unit.  Thought we would want to hear the feedback from our briefing.  They were all impressed at how well Brandon could get their attention and make it relate to them.  They were all having some good laughs at some of his statements and cane antics, and they liked how I was there and knew when to speak up and to keep him on track.  Always good to hear.  We have two more scheduled one in July and one in August.  They are trying to get another one in next week!  That really makes a girl feel good to know you are trying to help people go through the hell you went through, and people are realizing how seriously war effects our warriors.  We did have one gentleman call, and had hoped he would speak to his unit on Friday.  He did not.  He has been invited over, but is not returning Brandon's phone call.  This is to be expected, but Brandon is worried for him because he knows this young man's despair and hopes he doesn't choose the route Brandon did.  Thankfully, he was saved at the moment he needed it... not everyone is that lucky.  Hopefully, this guy will be.  We shall see.

So, good news for today, house cleaning is already underway.  Just waiting for people to wak up before I vacuum.  Dishwasher is sold and will be leaving us at 3!  JOY!  I will be glad to get the stove out and have my garage back.  Even though it will need some rearranging after all the stuff that keeps ending up out there.  I can't wait to get that back.  Until then, I'll sit here and enjoy my silence.  Refresh and prepare to live my normal life for another day.  Makes me want to sing... "Life is good today!"

No comments:

Post a Comment